Crackers are a staple in our house. They are an easy snack for the kids, and I enjoy them with some meat and cheese. But most crackers are not that healthy, and it is hard to find a really great gluten free cracker.
I started making these seed crackers after hopelessly searching for the perfect cracker that is highly nutritious, gluten free and delicious. These seed crackers meet all our needs – they are full of healthy fats, particularly Omega-3 fats, they are gluten free, and with the different flavour combinations they are delicious and loved by everyone in my family.
Our favourite flavour is simply salt. I rarely add any other herbs or flavouring.
Here’s the recipe:
• 1/2 cup Flax seeds
• 1/2 cup Chia seeds whole
• 1/2 cup Hemp Hearts
• 1/2 cup Pumpkin seeds
• 1 cup water
• 1/2 organic sea salt
• 1 tsp olive oil
You can also create different flavours using black pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder, thyme, rosemary, or oregano. Try and test them out to see what your favourite flavour combination is.
• Preheat the oven to 350°F.
• Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and let sit for at least 10 minutes, until mixture becomes somewhat gelatinous.
• Lay out a piece of wax or parchment paper, and spread the olive oil over the paper
• Transfer the mixture to the wax or parchment paper. Lay another sheet of parchment paper or wax paper on top and use a rolling pin to roll the dough out into a rectangle slightly less than 1/8th inch thick.
• Transfer the mixture, on the parchment paper, onto a baking pan. Remove the top layer of parchment paper and place mixture in oven.
• Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a cutting board. Using a long knife, or a pizza cutter, slice into crackers .
• Put the crackers back into the oven for an additional 20-30 minutes.